Eligibility: The applicant must be a Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration. Individuals who have gained refugee/asylum status are not eligible.Sri Lankan citizens who have applied for, and gained, refugee or asylum status in Australia are not entitled to a Sri Lankan passport, or the renewal of validity for an existing passport, in accordance with Sri Lankan Immigration Laws. However, they are eligible to apply for temporary travel documents for the sole purpose of returning to Sri Lanka.
Validity: The N-Series Passports currently issuing are valid for 10 years unless otherwise specified. Validity of a passport cannot be extended beyond 10 years from the date of issuance. A new passport must be obtained instead.
- Applications must be lodged well in advance of the expiry of the current passport.
- Submission of forged documents (Birth Certificates, etc.) and false declarations relation to citizenship status is an offence. Such cases will be reported to the relevant authorities and payment will not be refunded.
Required Documents [Please submit Original documents + 1 set of photocopies(Excluding Form K)]
All applicants who wish to apply for a new Sri Lankan Passport for any reason (expiry of validity period, physical damage, pages exhausted, new-born child, etc.), are required to complete the Application Form K, submit the Required Documents, and follow the Instructions, found here.
- Duly completed Form “K” (Includes the Declaration) DOWNLOAD HERE
- Three Passport Size Colour Photographs (3.5cm *4.5cm)
- Sri Lankan Birth Certificate
- Sri Lankan Citizenship Certificate (Applicable only if you are born outside Sri Lanka)
- Current Passport (Copies of Bio Data Page and observation page)
- National Identity Card (Only if you have obtained a new Identity Card)
- Dual Citizenship document (submit photocopies of both sides)
- Foreign Passport (Applicable only for dual Citizenship holders)
- Marriage Certificate (only if you have changed your name after Marriage)
- Documents to prove your Profession (If applicable)
- Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) from the Department of Immigration & Citizenship of Australia.This can be obtained free of charge from the Australian Immigration website. (Certificate should be less than a month old from the date of submission of the application).To obtain VEVO please visit the following website: https://online.immi.gov.au/evo/firstParty?actionType=query
- Photographs – Please make sure that your glasses/hats or caps are removed and both ears and forehead should be clearly visible.
- If you are above 16 years of age and if you have not yet obtained a Sri Lankan Identity Card, a letter should be submitted by you stating your consent to obtain a new Identity Card upon your first entry to Sri Lanka.This letter should be addressed to the “Controller General, Department of Immigration and Emmigration, Sri Lanka”
- Dual Citizenship Applicant under Retention category – If you have not yet obtained a foreign passport, you should submit a letter confirming that. This letter should be addressed to the “Controller General, Department of Immigration and Emigration, Sri Lanka”
- Attestations are not required if documents are submitted directly to the Consulate office by Applicant. Forms should be signed only before a authorized officer of the Consulate.
- If you wish to submit the documents by Post, Application and copies of all other required documents need to be certified by an authorized Australian certification bodies. (Lawyer, Doctor, Justice of Peace, Police Officer or Pharmacist).Also, it is compulsory to submit your current passport along with the application.
- Once received, your application will be forwarded to the Overseas Missions Department at the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Sri Lanka. Provided that all the necessary documents have been submitted (see Required Documents & Instructions), a new passport will be issued approximately within one month. (from the date that application received to the Immigration).However, the Consulate cannot guarantee the issuance of a passport within a specific time period.
- During this process, the old passport is cancelled by the Controller, Immigration & Emigration. Therefore, Applicants are advised to refrain from travelling to Sri Lanka until a new passport has been received.
- When the new passport is received at the Consulate, the applicant will be informed by mail or by phone. In order to collect the new passport at the Consulate (9.30am – 4.30pm on any working day), the applicant is required to bring their current passport/emergency passport (if retained), and cash receipt issued from the Consulate.If the applicant is unable to collect the new passport in person, a representative can be authorized to collect it . In such events he/she should provide an Authorization Letter from the applicant, the Cash Receipt, & Photo Identification.
- Alternately, the new passport & current passport(if kept in the Consulate)/emergency passport can be returned by post upon your request.However, the Consulate will not take any responsibility if documents lost in the post. Notify the Consulate of any change in address via email (email@example.com).
- Once the new passport is received, the Australian Department of Home Affairs must be notified. Details can be updated via your Immi Account or by completing Form 929.
- Application Fee: AUD 235
- Penalty Fee for Expired Passports: AUD 5 per year (maximum for 5 years from expiry).
- Payment should be made in cash at the counter or by Postal Order/Bank Draft drawn in favour of the “Consulate General of Sri Lanka” if sent by post.
- Personal/Company cheques and Credit/Debit cards are not accepted.
- As per Section 35(a) of the Immigrants and Emigrants Act No 20 of 1948 as amended in 2015, the Department of Immigration and Emigration is required to collect Biometrics from passport applicants. The Department will be introducing a new procedure to collect the fingerprints of passport holders whose passport has been issued through Sri Lanka Diplomatic Missions after 01st November 2017. The procedure requires every passport holder aged 16- 60 years to provide biometrics (fingerprints and digital face image) to the Department upon their first entry to Sri Lanka.
- You are advised to arrange your travel in a way that allows sufficient time to provide your Biometrics to the department. Biometrics can only be submitted at the locations below.
|Overseas Mission Division, 2nd Floor Department of Immigration and Emigration “Suhurupaya”, Sri Subhuthipura Road, Battaramulla||+94 11 5329230|
9, Sri Vijaya Building, Rahula Road, Matara.
42/3, Sangaraja Mawatha, Kandy.
JC 23, Outer Circle Road, Vavuniya.
|Kurunegala||129, Dambulla Road, Kurunegala||
|Working Hours: 8AM – 2PM, Monday – Friday, except Public Holidays|
- Biometrics cannot be provided at the airport. You are advised to provide your biometrics prior to departure from Sri Lanka, as failure to do so will prevent you from leaving the country.
- Biometric Data Acquisition is conducted free of charge. No payments are required.